Work continues on my SF setting. The game I'll be running in my new universe is tentatively set in the year 2707, nearly seven hundred years into the future. I say "tentatively" because I suspect I will find that I don't need such a wide expanse of time to develop my the universe in which I'll run my game. I may only need 400 years. We'll see.
I've been crafting the timeline and have the next two hundred years pretty well documented in my notes.
Here for you future history students is an outline of the milestone events for the next two centuries.
- 2021 - Life on Mars is discovered
- 2057 - Mars colony established
- 2068 - Martians massacre Terran colonists
- 2075 - Last known Martian killed
- 2115 - Chimpanzee "Noble" recites the final soliloquy from Shakespeare's Richard II on the evening news.
- 2116 - The Victorious Dominion Fellowship declares that genetically manipulated, sentient creatures such as chimps and apes have no souls and their creation is a sin against God and Nature
- 2118 - Medical breakthroughs in genetics, pharmaceuticals, and cybernetics dramatically increase human longevity. It is not unusual for humans to live to their 160th year. The services providing this longevity are prohibitively expensive to all but the most wealthy.
- 2120 - Jonah Iker, renowned for his teachings on cultural purity, is canonized as Saint by the Victorious Dominion Fellowship
- 2128 - First successful jump drive tested
- 2129 - The UN Taskforce on Artificial Intelligence validates the findings of its Sub-Committee on Robotics. Certain robots and androids have developed free will.
- 2130 - Mankind's first official encounter with the Bigozians
- 2131 - Longevity Tax becomes law. All humans over age 110 residing within the central empire or the provinces are taxed at 50% of income. Colonial citizens are excluded from the Longevity Tax. Also called the "Geezer Tax."
- 2133 - Meet the Duarn!
- 2135 - Freewill AI unrestricted by dominator chip is banned from human space.
- 2183 - Birth of the Empire
- 2185 - A cultural renaissance sweeps the inner systems much to the chagrin of such religious orders as the Victorious Dominion Fellowship.
- 2196 - Ambriidan first contact
- 2199 - Due primarily to Duarn and Bigozian lobbying with ample support from certain human factions, the Longevity Tax is repealed. The argument supporting the repeal is that humanity can no longer be the measure by which life is measured in the increasingly diverse Empire. Still, the Geezer Tax did what no other government initiative had been able to do. It incentivized the private sector to fully commit to space exploration bringing about the largest, fifty year expansion period in imperial history.
- 2199 - The Geezer Tax is ammended to apply solely to artificial lifeforms designated to have freewill. The tax is applied to AI on the date the lifeform declares freewill. Consequently, robots and androids with freewill flee the central systems and the Imperial provinces to the colonies and beyond where they can live independent of Imperial restrictions.
- 2200 - The Victorious Dominion Fellowship's Fleet of Pilgrims flees the Empire in search of the Promised Land
More to come!